Friday, August 05, 2005

Peter Ruined Christmas.

So about 10 minutes after the website said the plane landed I started pacing and looking for the taxi. I couldn't help it. Pace. Front window. Pace. Back Stairs. Repeat. Not the best way to maintain one's sanity but it's all I had. Once five minutes or so I'd walk down to the front door, open it, stick my head out, peer out and retreat back upstairs to the unguarded back door.

I've been keeping the back door closed as Peter repellant for the last few days. I guess it's been working.

"This is Driving me INSANE!"

ok ok time to stop. I sit and look at the clock. check the cbc for exploding planes. check the clock. make popcorn. check the clock. sit. check the clock. I decide the best thing to do is forget about it. So I lock the back door and go downstairs and obsess.

"dude! Don't lock the back door."
"But Peter..."
"Fuck Peter!"
"NO! He's lurking out there climb my stairs, stealing my beer."
"What are the chances he'd come right now?"
"I don't know."
"Look, it's SO unwelcoming to your sweet-heart..."
"ok."

Open door. go back down stairs

"What was that?"

Run upstairs. No peter, no girl. (sigh) Back down stairs.

"What was that?"

Run upstairs. No peter, no girl. (sigh) check front window. Back down stairs.

"What was that?"

Run upstairs. Stop half way, listen... No peter, no girl. (sigh) Back down stairs.

"What was that?"

Stop listen... nothing.

"This is STUPID, no more nothing. ForGET it!"

"What was that?"
"Grrr..."
"Fine."

A voice that is not in my head: "hello?"
A voice that is still in my head: "OHMYGOD!"

fucking run upstairs.
nobody.
???
Then my baby comes around the corner hair in little pig tails.

I was so used to looking at photos of her, it was very strange to see her move. I couldn't really let go, but I couldn't really see her move when I had her. I was in conflict. I tried to do both. I had limited success.

When I finally let go and took my lips off her. I sat on the counter and stared at her trying to fit this moving alien back into my head. back into my understanding. My last 15 days and my present seem irreconcilable. Impossible. A significant part of convinced I'd ever see her again. That part was closing it's eyes, plugging it's ears, and babbling "I can't hear you. I can't hear you. I can't hear you."

The rest of me was wide-eyed and staring with some kind of a half-cocked, half-smiling expression like an 7 year-old who just discovered an extra christmas on the calendar... actually more accurately, it's more like the expression of a 14 year-old boy discovering a stack of Playboys in the refrigerator.

It was a holy experience.


Today's Song of the Day is "I Saw Her Standing There" by The Beatles off their 1963 Debut Album "Please Please Me."

Crazy Fact: This is Pointless... they are from Liverpool, England. Whatever.

njoy

No comments: