Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Penetrating Stare (Part One)

I think this is hilarious. It kind of at Somebody's expense. Ah whatever, everybody says stupid stuff when they are drunk. Everybody who drinks should know how to take your beats, if you don't... don't drink and don't do stupid stuff.

ANYWAY... enough of the disclaimer.

So about 10-am Caleb's Mom calls me in a panic the day of her son's Wedding and says: "Reception... Mara's Crying... Please help... need you and Rob... anyone else... not enough time... boat club... go go go!"

So Robin, Sarah and I go down to the boat club and tell the people there we are here to help set up.

We stand around and look at them.
We stand around and look at each other.
We shrug.
We stand around and look at them, again.
We stand around and look at each other, again.
And again we shrug.

I break from the group and ask the closest, most frantic and vaguely familiar person what they want us to do. She looks at me. We pause as we both struggle to remember where we recognize each other from. She gives up and says we can fold napkins.

Pif: "Great, I know this AWESOME way to fold napkins my sweetheart taught once when I went to her work to beg forgiveness for sending an ill-conceived e-mail about how she spent her time with everyone else but me and in putting myself in her service napkin folding I worked my way back in to her heart and along the... Am I saying this out loud? ...nope."

Pif: "Great! I know this AWESOME way to fold napkins... um... Sarah taught me... um this is Sarah... it's cool. watch... er...um.. I can't do it, show her baby."

Sarah silently, gracefully and expertly folds the napkin in the Tribecaesque dinnerware holding fashion and proudly presents it to this Vaguely familiar woman who I still can't place.

Caterer: "Umm No. Like this."

We are put out. We watch. Her way bites. Whatever it's not my Party. Rob, Sarah and I fold and talk. After we fold 80 or so, she comes back.

Caterer: 'How much are you going to hate me?'
Sarah: "Depends. What do you have to say."
Caterer: "I think we should fold the Napkins the other way."

We pause. Sarah hates do overs and repeating herself.

Sarah: "...sure."

The caterer turn to me for approval. Suddenly I flash to where I met her.

(to be Continued...)


Today's Song of the Day is "Avila and Tequila by Hank Mobley off his 1955 album "Hank Mobley Quartet."

Crazy Fact: In 1961, Mobley was hired to replace John Coltrane in Miles Davis' quintet.

njoy

No comments: