Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Penetrating Stare (Part Two)

(Continued...)

Many moons ago I was in The Marquee Club talking to her. She was drunk, I was drinking. She went to get another drink and two other younger/cuter/thinner girls come over and talk to me. I was having a good night. When our she returned with another drink she tried to muscle back into position. I must say I kind of liked watching them vie for position. Finally, one of the other girls looked at her, looked at me, looked back at her and did shoes to hair size up, turned back to me and said.

"You've GOT to be kidding."

It's was so arrogant and rude. I was totally shocked. So I stumbled and said,

"Actually were OLD friends." Then I gave her a disgusted look and turn my back on the two of them. They wandered off.

Well now I was her Knight in Shining Armour, her defender. So what was just idle banter now heated up. uh-oh. I don't really like this. I'm being friendly, but I feel like I committed to something by defending her and now I'm gently defending myself from her drink buying and long looks.

Somewhere during one of those hair twirling, glassy-eyed long looks she works up the courage to use her killer line. So with a bit of a hair fluffing, and a wiggle she says the worst thing I've ever heard. What makes it so bad isn't just the disturbingly factual and personal nature of the sentence, but also that it's intended effect was so off target. So very very VERY off target. So with the sexiest lick of her teeth she can muster she arches her back a little, twirls her hair on the end of her finger and says in a breathy voice,

"I haven't been penetrated in 8 months."

I'm stunned, mouth open staring back at her, eyes wide with fear.

"Ok, I'll do it. THEM. Fold them. that way, her way. Yes. Yes we certainly can fold those Napkins the other way." Suddenly I'm back from the past, looking at her recognize me in the same moment I remember her. I hope to god, she remembers something else.

"Oh, good" She smiles and leaves. I can't get a read on her, but I can get a read on Sarah and she's fuming.

I love cheering her up. I'm pretty good at it. When she got that grumpy look on her face and I can totally melt it into smiles... ah makes me feel good. So I do, it does. and no matter what the Caterer says from that point on it's so much easier to bare.

And we all made fun of her ever after. The End.


Today's Song of the Day is "Drinkin' Wine Spo-dee-o-dee " by Jerry Lee Lewis which was released as a single in 1958.

Crazy Fact: "Drinking Wine Spo-Dee O-Dee" was written during WWII by Stick McGhee, the brother of blues great Brownie McGhee. Stick first recorded it in 1946 on Harlem, then again in 1949 for Atlantic.

njoy

No comments: