Friday, August 26, 2005

Copyright is Unethical. (Part 1)

I think copyright should be abandoned.

Yes, totally abandoned.

I publish this blog for free. You read it for free. I want to write it, you want to read it. All free. So I'm no hypocrite on the subject. And doods... it takes a chunk of time, let me tell you. But I want to. I'm not motivated to write for profit. Where expression is concerned, 'the profit motive' is an impediment, and it simply doesn't belong.

Music and 'art' motivated by profit fucking sucks, it's bad art. Brittany Spears is BAD music. An inspired musician/writer/painter would do it where they were paid or not. It seems to me that an individual who has something to express, fights for the freedom to do so. They fight for an audience, they just want to be heard. They need to express something and they need it to be heard.

Not to mention 99.991% of musicians make their bread through performance, not through record sales. Ask any local musician. Look at a Symphony. All the music they perform is Public Domain. For the most part they aren't rolling in bills, but hey, neither am I, neither are you. Those at the very top are a little over paid anyway.

End of my first point.


Today's Song of the Day is "Radio Free Europe" by R.E.M. off their 1983 album "Murmur."

Crazy Fact: Michael Stipe frequented the Wuxtry record store where Peter Buck was a clerk. Buck had been a fanatical record collector, consuming everything from classic rock to punk and free jazz, and was just beginning to learn how to play guitar. Discovering they had similar tastes, Buck and Stipe began working together.

njoy

No comments: