Saturday, August 28, 2004

I've Earned My Water Wings.

Dude. I had the fear. That's the important thing. Water can be scarey stuff. I'll tell ya I was bitch slapped and stumbling by the time I dragged my sorry defeated ass out of those waves, and it seemed like such a good idea at the time.

One of the many lessons taught to me by the ocean that fateful day was "smokers really can't hold there breath, no REALLY, they can't." that of course worked in tandem with another lesson "Lung infections make it hard to breath," and most importantly the golden rule from which all of these other rules stem 'Breathing is very important.'

I'm not sure there's much difference at the between near-drowning and almost near-drowning, in both cases your are confronted with your own mortality and how possible, and more importantly, how likely at this point that you may not ever surface. Your done, you were having so much fun in the wet suit, in the waves, on the boogie board, but not anymore cause you went out too deep and now your dead. I had the fear, and I know others I was with had the fear.

I was tumbling ass-over tit, with a pounding ice-cream headache (water was 9 degrees), under WAAAY longer than I wanted to be and I had no idea which way was up. All you could hope do is hope, hope to re-surface. I was probably only under for like 10 seconds or 15 tops but those last 5 seconds of primal fear, when your survival instinct is screaming at your brain, felt like an eternity.


Nelson: Wow. Did you you see Pif just get wiped by that monster wave?

(10 second pause)

Jamie: (pause) Do we have to go save Pif?

Nelson: (pause) Dunno.

Jamie: (pause) Hmmmm... (pause)

Pif: gasp! gasp! gasp! gasp! (another wave hits)

Nelson: Nah, he's fine. I just saw him for a second.

(10 second pause)

Pif: gasp! gasp! gasp! gasp! (another wave hits)

(you get the point)


Today's Song of the Day is "Every Breath You Take" by the Police off their 1983 Album "Synchronicity."

Crazy Fact: This song was their biggest hit, topping the charts for 8 weeks in 1983. Eight Freakin' Weeks!

njoy

No comments: