Tuesday, August 24, 2004

The Drive (Part One)

Caleb calls me at about noon, "We have to go for a drive, I'm working now but around 5."
"Wicked!'
"We will talk then."
"Aight m'man. see you then." (click) "Holy shit! Caleb is pregnant or dying or getting married."
I anxiously watch the clock
1:41
2:17
2:46
3:23
4:20
4:44
4:51
4:56
5:01
5:11...(buzzzzzz!)
I jump, it always scares the shit out of me, this time I jump a little higher. I buzz him in... ohshit it could be that fucking census guy. shit shit. that fucker always shows up about this time and I am NOT letting that fucker steal my identity. ...fuck, I don't see Caleb's car. Damn! That bastards' passed my first level of defence. I can't just not answer the door, fuck cornered like a rat! I must prepare myself for conflict. where did I put...(knock knock knock) shit... shit...

"CALEB! Awesome! I was worried you were the census guy, he's been hounding me for days."

"I'm not letting them steal my identity." he says distractedly.

"SEE! I'm not the only one. Celery is calling me a kook."

"I pitched it after the first question.", looking at the floor.

"Problem is this census guy is really nice and I don't have the heart to tell him to stuff the census test up his ass. So I'm avoiding the conflict."

I make ready, we leave.

"Why did you park way the hell down the street? You scared the hell out of me."

"Every time I come up here there is never a spot in front of your place. I have to drive around the block." He is obviously on auto-pilot, his brain is seized upon a singular thought or action. So I make small talk.


(to be continued...)


Today's Song of the Day is "All the Madmen" by David Bowie off his 1972 Album "The Man Who Sold the World."

Crazy Fact: In 1973 Bowie was a busy man: he recorded Aladdin Sane, produced Lou Reed's Transformer, produced the Stooges' Raw Power, and produced Mott the Hoople's comeback All the Young Dudes, for which he also wrote the title track. Crazy!

njoy

No comments: