Wednesday, August 25, 2004

The Drive (Part Two)

"How's school?"

"I'm so sick of Puritains... and witchcraft. I want my brain back. I have to write 4 papers, and it's killing me. I have a week left." For a moment, he is distracted from whatever holds his mind so tightly. Whatever it is that has him, most of him, locked away. You can see it in his whole shape and form, he relaxes. His arms when relaxed seem to be like a kindly rope bridge pinned up by the shoulders and wrists. Slowly as this heavy thought again takes the spot light of his attention, as if he is slowly slipping in to a cold tank of water the fluidity of his form starts to become rigid. His hands grip the steering wheel tighter, his arms straighten and push his sholders back into the seat, his spine straightens, he sits higher in his seat and the emotion washes from his face and his eyes settle on the road. frozen in thought. Yikes! This is gonna be serious, when the HELL is going to tell me whatever the...

"Where the HELL are we going?"

"Downtown."

"We are going for a DRIVE downtown?" His tension is becoming contagious.

"I have to get a book, first. On witchcraft. It's for my paper."

"oh... ok."

We park the car. I obviously have a little time before the hammer falls, nice. I relax and yammer on and on about whatever comes to mind. One of those skipping sort of conversations, though it's a little one-sided I don't mind. We get to the corner of Queen and Spring Garden and Caleb get's dizzy and says he's having a bit of a panic-attack. He crouches down on the side walk and takes a breather. I tell him my "groundless fear" panic attack theories and as we continue walking I tell him all he has to do is remember that he is not in danger,

"There is nothing at risk right now, you are not doing anything life-threatening at this moment nothing..." We turn abruptly.

"Where the HELL are you going now?" (when the HELL is he going to tell me this big fucking thing!) he goes down some stairs and into a funny tiny little store.

"Hi, Caleb." I see a kind face smiling from behind a long counter. glasses, 50ish.

I look around. I've never been here before. There are glass cases filled with delicate little rings and bracelets and necklaces. Little black plastic numbers with big white prices sit next to each of them. 9450, 4320, 1090. How can something so small be worth so much? Good Lord. I had no idea things this expensive were sold in this city. What the HELL are we doing in here? Why does that guy know Caleb? Why is caleb buying jewelry? What would he be...?

". . . h o l y s h i t . . . " I looked up from the case.

He shrugged, tipped his head to one side and looked at me with a crooked smile of a man about to jump.


(to be continued...)


Today's Song of the Day is "Do" by The White Stripes off their 1999 self-titled album "The White Stripes"

Crazy Fact: Jack White, guitar and vocals, Meg White, drums -- formed in 1997 on Bastille Day. weird 'n' crazy.

njoy

No comments: