Sunday, October 17, 2004

Bring your Hammer to the Rock Church.

OK on another geology field trip. They're fun but too early to get up on a Sunday. I'm thinking about calling it Sunday School, Having never gone to Sunday School I don't know anything about it, but I'm quite sure they didn't teach the worship of Rocks. Either way sunday and school = NO FAIR. anyways

We are Hanging out in the Bay of Fundy. The tide is advancing on us like a really wet cold muddy grass fire. OK nothing like a grass fire more like... like a drunk guy at a bar who just came in from the rain, sees you from across the room, and thinks he recognizes you. He really really wants to give you a big hug, but you don't know him, he sways back a forth, he retreats he goes for you again. you gingerly hop away, he sways again. He parlays, He's kind of easy to stay away from but he only has ONE thought in his drunken mind so if you are not ever vigilant against his lame persistence you will get soaked and very very uncomfortable.

Anyway I'm peering over "lizard tracks" in the Siltstone. I'm not convinced. But it's kind of a cool anyway.

"Your going to have to sketch these in your lab report, I can't I'm not artistic, that's why I'm in science."

I might as well have gone temporarily blind as my brain gurgled with crisis.

What am I doing here? I AM artistic, I'm doomed. I'm doing the wrong thing. I have to get out of here. It's not too late, is it? I have to switch my... I should just go for my masters, I got a BA. I got my honours they'll take me...right? I'm no scientist, Who am I trying to kid. shit. fuck. shit fuck. I'm gonna FAIL! I'm FUCKING doomed. I'm going to starve as a self-involved hyper-sensitive ball of anxiety. (probably brought on by Malnutrition)

fuck.

Well fifteen minutes, 12 seconds and two soakers later (damn Bay of Fundy 'hugged' me) my fear loosened and allowed blood to re-enter the optimistic (and yet equally irrational, though slightly more productive) parts of my brain. So I convinced myself that this will be my advantage, this will be my standard, the vanguard of my success. We will see where the pieces fall, but it was a motivating internal dialogue nonetheless. Especially that 'vanguard' word. Just call me Henry.

I should have rejected her ridiculous dichotomy in the first place. I should have let Leonardo bazooka it. Next time Leo, next time. Keep it loaded, you'll have your chance. We will have our revenge. Wet feet or no wet feet.


Today's Song of the Day is "She Blinded Me With Science" by Thomas Dolby off his 1982 album "Golden Age of Wireless."

Crazy Fact: In 1986, Dolby Labs filed suit against him prohibited the musician from using the name "Dolby" in conjunction with any other name than "Thomas."

njoy

No comments: