Thursday, November 04, 2004

Take Five

Strange. Here's a lesson in subjectivity for you. When I was a kid taking math I thought it was stupid that there was this 'perfect world' in which lines would be parallel forever. In this broken little world of ours it's impossible to make a perfectly straight line let alone TWO that never touch. So WHY are we learning about this? A pragmatist at such an early age, poor little guy. Well what I never considered was within the world of ideas things certainly can be parallel. Parallel perception.

So I walk with Cel and Fiver almost everyday. I've been through the WHOLE routine, many, many times. Where he walks when he eats, how he behaves in different situations, when he needs to go back on the leash all that jazz. So Cel goes to the T dot and the little guy is under my charge. Sweet. I totally know his routine, he likes me. s'all good.

Well, It's way different when your driving the bus, same trip different perspective. When driving the bus I learned that responsibility is composed of two primary substances: guilt and fear,

Guilt: I gotta go home, The puppies all alone.' (weird... I NEVER go home... What the hell IS this?)

Guilt: I wonder if he's happy on the couch? Maybe I should get him a blanket?' (what... the... hell. Pif! Your snapping!)

Fear: 'he's too close to the road, don't like the look of that other dog, he's too close to traffic, where'd he go? what was that? is that broken glass? what's he eating? he's too close to traffic, that dog's going to steal his ball, is he cold? Is that car going to stop? It eventually broke down to full-blown half-thought paranoia: what was? what's he? is he? is that? can he? would he? is that? Where is? I was surfin' the crest of a monster wave of fear, at top speed, hair blown back, Fiver on his leash, full-on pulling me to Point Pleasant Park. I felt like a dog sled of fear. I was terrified, panicked. I was taking responsibility.

The worst part of this is Fiver is the best dog ever, gentle, obedient and happy an all-round sweetheart. How much trouble can he really be? Didn't stop the obsess-o-machine from producing top-quality fear.

She's back. Fiver's alive. I should never have children.


Today's Song of the Day is "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" by Lauryn Hill off her 1998 album "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill."

Crazy Fact: Frankie Valli did the original in 1967 as a solo effort from the Four Seasons but it was written by Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio who were the other members of the Four Seasons... What a chump. 'I want MY name on the album WAAAA!" give the cry baby a record already...

njoy

No comments: