Friday, November 12, 2004

Love Potion Number Four

Ok so I was gleefully trapped in a cabin in the White Mountains of New Hampshire with four other guys with a very limited selection of activities on the menu. This was the mission we all accepted. To only have a very limited selection of activities so we would do those activities as much as possible without distraction. Those activities were: play geeky games, play guitar, drink, eat, sit in the hot tub or sit on dock and chill on the lake 'n' mountain vista. We were all pretty happy about this. The phone didn't ring once (ok ONCE) there was no computers, no homework, no TV, no people we didn't know, no nothin' no how.

This had unforeseen side effects.

The most stand out in my mind was on Sunday morning when we were headed home, we stopped briefly to get supplies for the ride home. A whole part of my brain that was shut-down for days caused a nearly overwhelming power drain at is went through it's start-up cycle. I stopped dead in my tracks in the middle of a parking lot, sort of twitching. I didn't even know what happened. It was a physical reaction... I literally almost fell over when I saw a woman. Hello mister libido we've been a little bored, a little under stimulated for a change. I had no idea it would effect me like that. I'm pretty sure she wasn't looking her best or even aware of my presence, but I tell you, it didn't matter. She couldn't been wearing track pants pulled up to her armpits, a mouthful of rotten teeth and an eye-patch (well, that would be cool anyway) and I could've fallen in love with her I tell ya, dangerous. very dangerous.


Today's Song of the Day is "American Woman" by The Guess Who off their 1970 album "American Woman."

Crazy Fact: Given its anti-American putdowns, it ironic that is became their only U.S. chart-topper. When the group performed for President and Mrs. Nixon and Prince Charles at the White House, Pat Nixon requested that "American Woman" be dropped from the set list.

njoy

1 comment:

annabanana said...

you know, about eight months ago i went to alcatraz. i ran onto the very first boat of the morning to get to it, 'audio guide' in hand, and stood at the prow of the boat jumping up and down until we reached the shore of the island.

one of the things that still stands out in my memory of that visit is the part of the audio tour where some of the former inmates actually recount moments from their daily routine and their experience there, generally. you know, the popping sound of some one behind you being stabbed in the back by another inmate in the kitchen -- stuff like that. anyway, one guy, i forget who, said that one day, four or five years into his sentence, he saw a woman, through the window of the mess hall, walking up the path. his voice changed as he recounted this and you could tell what an impact it had made on him. he said it was the first woman he had seen in years and he said something to the effect of, "if you've never been in that position, you really can't imagine what it's like. it was quite... it was quite something.... the event of the year...(quiet, whistful, embarrassed laugh)"