Friday, July 01, 2005

Secret Dinner (Part Four)

(continued from yesterday...)

Go back to lighting candles. I make little plates of three and put them all over the (very clean) kitchen. I'm quite proud of myself. I forgot the flowers (I was at the store, and I thought foolishly 'I'll do that later') but whatever it looks pretty good. I think the candle lighting thing was a way to deal with the general fear of death by fire "Who's in control now little match, little candle, little flame? hmmm? BWHAHAHA!" I went a little overboard.

I pick the music (Al Green, The Mission, Beethoven's Piano Sonatas, Oscar Peterson, and I had to put in Nebraska by The Boss cause I've had it on repeat all day and I'm obsessed.) Seems like a good shuffle. check the time. we're good. cool. take out the fish. We're good. Put in the bread. Check the time, 10 to, awesome.

I was lighting yet another plate of tea lights when I remember the whole purpose this was to thank her for yesterday and give her a card with some cash for her trip to Poland. FUCK! I didn't do the damn card. fuck fuck.

I run into the living room grab some cash and a card that was lying around (very classy) I pick up a pen. ok here's what I'll do, I'll do this one incase she shows up on time and meanwhile I'll make a better one while I wait. ok umm what do I write.

"c-click."
"hi sweetie."

Eek! My adrenalin hits the roof.

(gulp) "...hi beautiful."

I'm smiling ear to ear, bursting and struggling to get the cash in the card and card in the envelope, I 'casually' slink into the kitchen and struggle in the corner with this damn card out of sight.

"Eva showed me the skirts for Poland," I hear Sarah throw her stuff/crap on the couch and shuffle around a bit, "and they're not as bad as I thought."

I look around to make sure it looks ok. It looks awesome. She's going to totally cry. I think to myself, 'Oh my God! I can't wait to see her face when she comes into the kitchen! Come in the kitchen, DONT come in the kitchen, come in the kitchen, DONT come in..." This cycles through my head at a hundred cycles per second as I try to cram all this cash and card in this weird yellow envelope.

"...but do you know what's really exciting!?" She jumps/skips into joyfully into the kitchen plane tickets in hand.

"You cleaned the kitchen... it looks great." She sees the table and the candles as she's talking, and slows, not quite sure, "Look... I got... my tickets for... Poland..." her brain slows down and she starts taking it in.

She gives me a big beautiful hug as she looks at the table and starts to melts a little.

"Excellent, cause I have a present for your trip." I give her the card.

"oh sweetie..." melting she looks at the table, and at the candles and at the card, and at me "oh sweetie..."

And she totally melts. Dinner is perfect, the wine is perfect, she's perfect, it's all so... well... quite perfect. Then we go walk the patient and well fed puppy till sundown. It's an awesome kinda happy.


Today's Song of the Day is "Purple Rain" by Prince And The Revolution off his 1984 Album "Purple Rain."

Crazy Fact: He now lives in Toronto.

njoy

1 comment:

Mad'Nis said...

Ah, what a relief man, that was stressful to read. The ladies do appreciate it when we try, no matter how incompetent we are, eh? Thank goodness!