Wednesday, March 01, 2006

White on all ends

We were deep in the belly of the white abyss, trying to drown out our grumbling stomachs with an examination of the likelyhood off a 'Big Stop' around the next bend, and our own personal selection:

S: ChEeEEeseburrrrguuuur.

P: Platter, I love that it's ALWAYS a platter at the Bigstop.

S: YES. a platter... with gravey... on everything... with everything.

P: yum... gravey... warm gravey.

On this ill-conceived blizzard hike, the Bigstop was everything we didn't have and desperately wanted. Warmth, food and sitting down. The Bigstop was the dream. We knew sure as hell that there was no big stop around that bend or any other bend. We were pretty much torturing ourselves with dreams of-

"Crackack! Floosh-Floomp! Flump!"

We were walking under a tree and obviously that was the of sound a branch overhead, breaking under the weight of the driving snow. I looked up. I was wrong. I saw an enormous wingspan tipped in white, wings, tail and head.

If I could speak I would have said "Holy fucking Shit! A fucking Bald mother-fucking eagle. It's ass-fuckingly huge!" but I think I said something like "buuuuh... stuuuh..." and pointed.

It was enormous. I kind felt like I was looking at a unicorn. Is that real? It was just too mythic to be 10 feet above me in a fully baked blizzard. Is this is Canada? Shouldn't it be the majestic beaver taking to flight above me? It's so fucking huge! I could've eaten me.

30 meters down the road there was another one much higher up. I got pictures. Hard to believe it was real.


Today's Song of the Day is "Walking Song" by Meredith Monk off her 1997 album "Volcano Songs."

Crazy Fact: She won the MacArthur "Genius" Award in 1995.

njoy

2 comments:

Mad'Nis said...

I remember nearly getting killed by a head-sized dump from one of those pterydactyls, it's insanity. All the eagles moved to Canada, didn't you know that? America imports them now. Not the national bird, but Hockey isn't the national sport either, what a crazy country.

annabanana said...

there are lots of bald eagles in the valley in the winter because of some slaughter house there. jay and i went to the site and there were, like, fifteen baldies hanging out, in various stages of digestion/waiting for food.

that bald eagles are in the process of being taken off the endangered species list makes me happy. at least, when it comes to conservation, that's going right.