Friday, March 03, 2006

I never thought I'd know.

Yesterday I built a 3-bit ALU and a 3-bit Program Counter out of circuits, from scratch.

Huh? You might not know what that means and 2 months ago neither did I. DUDE! It's a good chunk of a CPU. the CPU is the thing in your computer that your using right now that does ALL the work it is the Pentium in your PC or the G5 in your Mac. I built most of one. Most of a really crappy one, but whatever.

It was much eaiser than I thought.

I know some "number theory" and two new kinds of algebra: Linear, Boolean. I can do math in 4 and 5 dimensional space!

My point is, I never ever thought or wanted to know how to do these things, but here I am knowing and doing and understanding and enjoying these mysteries. It's freakey.

They got to figure out a new way to teach math, that doesn't tramatize everyone in the universe against it. I remember in high school, when I found out math wasn't a requirement. I started laughing and jumping up and down and then falling down and rolling around with hysterical joy. I jumped, ralled and laughed all the way down to the office to drop it. It was such a happy day.

I swear they couldn't teach math any fucking worse, It's like torture, whiping you with long-division and endless repetition in a could of vague misunderstanding. blech. fuck that NOISE!

It's too bad because the mysteries of the universe are all tied up in that mathematical little fucker. and once you know it it's kinda cool, and facsinating. It's what make a geek a geek. It's a complicated cerbral joy that brings clarity and repeats time and time again and reveals simlarities in place to place. This unifying weirdness lies in it's compelling solemnity, it's fierce unerring consistency, it is the fact that it is so inhuman. It's perfect edges, cold calculas, solid consistency, righteous consequences, silent inactive pervasiveness, it's impersonal immortal truths.

I see why the jesus lovers like leibnetz mistook math for god. It's got that the attributes they were looking for. dude, it's not god, and I'll tell you why, there is no god bone head. Stop looking for someone to fit that three armed silk suit.

And as for you overbearing subjective truth toting philosophizers, you'll rue the day you take a math class. It's quite persuasive lesson in objective truth.

ok done.


Today's Song of the Day is "Burning Down The House" by Talking Heads off their 1983 album "Speaking In Tongues."

Crazy Fact: In 1975, as virtual knowns, the band won a spot opening for the Ramones at the New York punk club CBGB.

njoy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

>And as for you overbearing >subjective truth toting >philosophizers, you'll rue the >day you take a math class. It's >quite persuasive lesson in >objective truth.

I assume this is directed at me, foo. That's why I'll never take a math class (again). Quantum physics is still good, though-I just read a completely layperson article, and I bet I could now show that there's no substantive difference between the subjective and the objective using your precious 'science'. In a tremendously overbearing fashion.

But I wouldn't be able to resist throwing in religion, and you would then be forced to rend your three legged silk garments in frustration and awe, so I'll not.

I'm flattered to be compared to your fiancee, I know how much you like her. Congrats on surviving the 'white madness' as we subjective conventional-reality-is a-dream-ites call it.

wau!

Caleb

Mad'Nis said...

Sheesh, fucking Buddhists.