Thursday, March 30, 2006

Fear is the Mind-killer.

People who have great talents and do not know failure are like me and Stratego when I was 10.

We got the game for Christmas and I won the first three games I ever played. Suddenly I had a perfect record. I never had that before. I liked it and decided I needed to keep it. It became a big deal. My brother, friends and I would talk about it. Every game became increasingly important. Then the enevitable finally came... I almost lost I game. I was relieved by I realized my My record was in real jeopardy. I have a reputation, a perfect record. It was all suddendly at risk. So I stopped "wanting" to play. Why risk everything I built up for so long, it was too valuable to me.

This is what people do. A perfect record is a trap and reputation is a handicap. Once you lose, and with it the record, you are humbled. Then you can again play without fear. And loss is something real, and though not desired, quite small and easily handled.

I recommend a healthy dose of failure for all, when you lose, you lose the fear with it.


Today's Song of the Day is "Wipe Out" by The Ventures off their 1963 album "Let's Go!"

Crazy Fact: I guy names "Nookie" Edwards (Nole Floyd Edwards on May 9, 1935) is a member of the band. Wow.

njoy

1 comment:

Mad'Nis said...

As a man with an exceptionally long and straight nose, I hope I never get punched like that. Tho I was once punched in the face by an anonymous black fellow who happened to be rioting in downtown halifax... It was a race riot they said, so I reckon that's a complicated answer to that guy's wish.

Stratego is a great game. I wish I had it here. Right now I'm trying to learn to play Chess, and I still suck.

As far as Fear in concerned... ever been back to Uniack Street, Piffo?