Sunday, January 22, 2006

Walk the walk

Ok so I'm taking a whole wack of new classes and have new profs 'n' whatnot. This is about my prof for 2121: Computer Organization with Assembly Language. He is actually an educator. He has the most detailed Syllabus I've ever seen. Anyway in the first lab we did this quick five minute interactive test to tell us what our learning preference is. Very interesting.

Anyway it seems I have "a strong Kinesthetic preference for learning..." What that means is I don't get it till I walk the walk. Its clear to me this is true. My first degree was in Theatre which is a very practical degree. You sit and talk a little, and get up and do it a lot. Same goes for Computer Science. Lotsa labs and assignments and practicums. Even my graphic design 'education' was use the software to learn it, none of this reading or talking about it. If I got stuck I went on-line or to the interactive help utility.

It's crazy I recommend you give the link 10-minutes of your time. It's food for thought if nothing else, and for me it put a few things into perspective. Dig it.


Today's Song of the Day is "Karma Police" by Radiohead off their 1997 album "OK Computer."

Crazy Fact: Kid A, and the following album Amnesiac, both debuted at number one even though they spawned no singles and are not "radio-friendly."

njoy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey. Just stoppin by to see what you're up to, RODDY, and leave some random comments:

-I'm Kinesthetic as well, apparently, which would explain why philosophy destroyed me.
-you can't be proudly humble. That's just nationalistic, in a tricky way. If you don't think Canada has a national identity, you should read some of the guide books written by other countries for visitors to Canada. They're pretty bang-on. I think that it's more that we have a strong national value of not wanting to have strong black and white opinions, THINGS ARE LIKE THIS opinions. that's not polite, and well, I could be wrong, etc. But that's changing as we go more conservative, it seems to me.
-obviously your brother isn't aware that you have brushfire fairytales (2001) on full repeat in your head and on whatever music-making device is within reach at all times.
-Dennis, you might be right. I've cranked up my intensity level for the Vancouverites, and it seems to make things more interesting, if not more smooth. Who wants smooth? a fucking triathalon, wow. hats off. I'll drink with you for that some time.

Mad'Nis said...

Just to be clear: it was Kayaking, Running, and then Swimming, and I came, like, 3rd last out of 100.

Whoever's idea it was to put swimming last is insane. What a great way to drown. And at the end we had to climb a net up 2 meters onto a pier. I couldn't feel my arms. I just sent the instructions and they obeyed. I actually saw video footage of me laughing as the arms I couldn't feel pulled my exhausted body 2 meters into the air.