Saturday, May 14, 2005

Repeating Myself

When I go to used bookstores I have this strange habit of looking at books I already own. Yesterday, I went to JWD and spent most of my time staring at this collection of Yeats poetry that I have at home. Just sort of stuck looking at it. Trying with all my brain not to buy it again.

What is that called? is that coveting? or is it materialistic? is it possessive? is it like when your a kid in the sandbox and another kid is playing with your toys and for some reason you only want to play with the toys they are playing with. You just can't stop yourself, but why? er more importantly what's it called? is it Hoarding? Greediness? None of these words do it for me.

I need a dictionary. nope no help. I think it's a collector thing. must collect and maintain perfection. weird.

ok done.


Today's Song of the Day is "As Is" by Ani DiFranco off her 1998 album "little plastic castle."

Crazy Fact: In the early Ninties Ani DiFranco became the subject of considerable major-label interest, yet she steadfastly rejected all offers and remains independant.

njoy

2 comments:

annabanana said...

i'm the same way in video stores. i always hover around movies that i've already enjoyed watching (sometimes repeatedly enjoyed watching).

i think it has to do with the comfort of the familiar (which, as independent as we can be, will always tempt us. always.) combined with a good feeling we know we've had experiencing something.

(i.e. "hey! that was fun last time -- let's see if it's fun *this* time, 'cause i sure did like it last time, yessiree. ...hey!!! i really do like this! i thought i did, and i still do!)

(the above makes me also wonder now if it might have something to do with encountering ourselves, as well. you know, like recognizing your pee on a bush? "THESE ARE THE THINGS I LIKE. WE, IN ANNA-LAND, LOVE AND APROVE OF *THESE* THINGS."

Anonymous said...

no. he's just a greedy bastard.
on another note, this is funny:
http://homepage.mac.com/onegoodmove/movies/bm051305unlearning.html