Sunday, May 22, 2005

A Bridge Too Wet.

It's just rain. People are so damn afraid of getting wet. I'll just walk, I'm sick of taking cabs. Off I go.

When I first step on the bridge I'm not too bad the boots are working, the rain coat is working no big deal. After I start up into the storm it starts to crank up the piss-down o meter.

I stop to look back and the notice not only is the bridge swaying, but it's also shaking. The wind is blasting me from the right. I look ahead. I can't really see dartmouth. The rain is moving vertically. My jeans are getting soaked and heavy. I am periodically stopped in my tracks by gust of wind and the bridge is swaying to such a degree I feel like I'm drunk.

The bus drives by. FUCK! I'm such an idiot. Why won't I take the DAMN BUS! I just hate the bus. I like it in principal, but... i don't care. I hate it.

I'm glad I'm in the rain. It's not so bad. I'm wet and my jeans weigh a ton and are stuck to me, but big deal. I'm mildly frightened that the bridge is going to collapse, but whatever I'm usually mildly frightened about something. Really, the most annoying thing is that place on the back of my wrist is numb, that place in between the pocket and the sleeve, the place where all under-prepared Canadians go numb first.

When I reach Dartmouth the rain stops.

Typical.

If I left 30 mins later I would be dry, impatience, again sir, you've had the best of me. I am wet and beaten, at your feet, but oddly unrepentant.

What is that about me? If I knew the rain was going to stop in half an hour I think I'd still do the same thing. Though I stand here in thick, wet, heavy layer of discomfort, I know that monstrous impatience rules me. And even still, it's just wet. Big whoop. It was kind fun feeling like I was on the deck of the SS Atlantic on it's way down.

Today's Song of the Day is "Here Comes The Rain Again" by the Eurythmics off their 1983 album "Touch."

Crazy Fact: Dave Stewart married Siobhan Fahey, a former member of Bananarama in 1987.

njoy

2 comments:

Mad'Nis said...

Ah, nice. I don't believe in any big imaginary entities out there, but I do believe the weather is sentient. Particularly in Nova Scotia. It was waiting for you man. But you asked for it!!! You know the rain in Halifax never just falls downward, sheesh! I bought my first umbrella in my life when I was 28 in Vancouver. And you were on the BRIDGE???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHA

I can so see that, you wet rat of a man. In your ridiculous raincoat. Dude. Just bring a towel and a change of clothes like a normal Haligonian.

annabanana said...

dennis, that comment just made me miss you.

maybe it was the reference to vancouver, maybe it's your love of The Weather, but in any case, you can be pretty great, you know?

when are you dropping by to help me throw slugs over the fence into my landlord's yard?