Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Cold Feet (Part Two)

That's the tequila was for, it was ball enhancer. With every swig I was closer to my big be-nutted viking ancestors. Well, between the hot tub and the tequila, it was pretty clear my babied north american self had to get there through mexico though. enh whateva (swig. glug. swig)

Pif: This tequila is really fucking good. It doesn't have that nasty tear off your face thing to it.

Ali: It's good isn't it? My girlfriend brought it from Mexico.

Caleb: Ok lets do this!

We are pumped. It's like a conga line of steaming mostly naked skinny men. as all seven of us jump out of the tub one after another and gingerly half run on the icy snow through the cold night. whooping and screeching are way down the 30 or so meters to the dock.

I cruise down at top barefoot don't stub your toe speed and I stop dead on the edge of the dock. I peer down into the black cold lake. The moon is nearly full and casting and ghostly cold snowy glow across the lake and into the mountain that surround us. I stare at that water and try to convince a couple billion years of evolution that THIS is a good idea. There is no convincing. The boys are chanting "do it, doo it DOOO it!" as an act of pure will (fueled up on the finest tequila I've ever had in all my drinking days) I leap into the void.

My brain was instantly filled with every chemical it has at it's disposal, and every gland in every corner of my body pumped something out, adrenaline, dopamine, endorphins, (all just use the all inclusive 'whatever' at this point) I didn't even feel the cold. Everything they say is true. it's amazing. truly. I went back inside and started jumping and howling and screaming wildly like a new man re-birthed. Everyone was in the exact same emotional condition at that moment. That emotional condition is "!!!"

Finally I look down. Not only did I not feel the cold, but I also didn't feel my toe nail pulled up, bend backwards and bleeding. I wonder when I did that? I continue howling and shaking defiant fists at valhalla. I'm totally unable to snap out of it. I look down again, yuck, I should fix that. I keep beating my chest and yelling at the gods in a euphoria of indescribable victory. I look down. Fuck it's bleeding everywhere. eww. I stand empowered, triumphantly calling down the wraith of the heavens. Indestructible, with fear laying defeated, bleeding at my feet... literally, oh that's MY foot. shit time to clean this up.

After about 15 minutes the buzz started to slip, I returned to my mortal, fearful form and nervously bandage up my blackening toe, thinking only of the flesh-eating disease.

Fear's vacation was welcome, even if it was a short one.


Today's Song of the Day is "Cold Brains" by Beck off his 1998 album "Mutations."

Crazy Fact: Beck Handsen's grandfather Al Hansen was an important figure in the Fluxus art movement, best known for launching the career of Yoko Ono.

njoy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you hear the rita macneil has the flesh eating disease? (pause)

Yeah, she only has forty years to live!

uncle pif, celery's friend lavers gets the credit for that awesome joke.

Anonymous said...

of course, i meant, "that" rita macneil (sp?), but i like "the rita macneil"....i'm cracking myself up as i say it!
arf arf

Mad'Nis said...

Dude, I salute you.

I think my head's going to explode.

My right eyeball was oozing a lovely yellow substance this morning... It might have been tequila or a derivative...

Chicken soup. jajaja.