Sunday, December 05, 2004

It's My Birthday and I'll Care if I Want To.

I made it to 32. Wow. Who would have thunked it. I'm caring less and less about all 'special' days. Birthday's, Christmas whatever. It's totally losing it's appeal. I'm not sure why. I don't really care about stuff so much, the stuff I've got seems to be doing the job. It a great excuse to hit the town or have a party, but, hell I do that all the time. no biggie.

I'm a young Mr. Scrooge at this point.

That would be really cool. I would totally be a miserable piece of shit for most of my life for the opportunity to meet three spirits and have a huge life altering experience like that. He's lucky, that's what I always thought. I was jealous. He got to travel through time and see himself as young when he was old. That is super fucking cool. I'll save up my whole life for that trip, I guess you have to, that's the point of the story isn't?

But would those spirits be pissed at me when they wake me up.

"I am the spirit of christma-'

"finally! fuck! I didn't know how much longer I could keep this miser shit up. DAMN! ok so here's the schedule I have it all worked out."

"I am the spir-'

'hey shut it, I'm talking. I put a lot of working into this and I'd like to a least look at my plans."

"...I am-"

"Look buster! This isn't about you. ok? It's about me. You do this all the time, not me. For me, this is a very special moment."

"...I-"

"I think it's time we started a dialogue here, ok? Are you LISTENING to me? I'm here too, ok."

"..."

"ok good I think I have your attention. jeeze, were you standing behind the door when they were handing out the sensitivity."

"sorry."

"Can we look at my plans now?"

"...I guess."

"Good. Isn't this better? see? We can put our heads together, empower each other."

"This job, is getting weirder."

"So what? How do you think I feel? I can't believe your saying this to me. I have ghosts trying to scare me into 'the good life.' I'm terrified over here."

"sorry."


Today's Song of the Day is "Highway To Hell" by AC/DC off "Highway To Hell" which was released in 1979.

Crazy Fact: Over-played, I agree. But there will always be something honest in this song that makes it bigger than that. The honesty in this song is that this is the song that killed lead singer Bon Scott. 6 months after it's release Bon Scott's lifeless body was discovered in a car outside a party he had attended. He has drunk himself to death. The party till you die, 'hedonism as damnation' theme he sung about he lived and it killed him. creepy.

njoy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike again.

I meant to call you and wish you a happy birthday, but like most thoughtful gestures that I think, it forgot.

Anyway...happy birthday. Wish I was there to give you big kiss.

As to that bullshit about 'caring less and less about special days', it rings hollow and pathetic (no offense intended). There ain't no body on the planet that wouldn't like a giant surprise birthday party in their honor, or a Christmas day right off the cover of the Sears Christmas Wishbook.

Not caring about special days is a process of growing old and cynical as a way to insulate ourselves against life's disappointments. Too many lousy birthdays, or Christmas' that end up as family feuds rather than 'Peace on Earth...Goodwill and all that". Don't give to it man...your birthday is gone, but you can still embrace Christmas.

Dress up in an elf costume, go feed the hungry, you could really freak yourself out and go to a Catholic mid-night mass. Don't 'have Christmas Day'...be Christmas day...piss off your friends and family by how enthusiastic you are. That would be way more interesting than cynicism.

remember..."Ho, Ho, Hold the cynicism."