Sunday, December 12, 2004

I'm Old Like Cheese, So Are You.

I'm really looking forward to friends coming into town for the holidays. It's a really good time. The older I get the softer and more sentimental I become. I think it's for this reason that old rockers suck so hard. There not stupid enough anymore to write great rock songs like 'Black Dog' or 'Get off my Cloud' or 'My Generation' or 'Highway to Hell' great, but not great literature, I love them more than any of you but they are so loaded with youthful disregard, so self-obsessed and tasteless.

Anyway just like Pete, Mick, Robert, I'm getting old. A part of that means getting sentimental for songs that curtain old roommates drove me crazy with, by playing on repeat every day and singing at the top of her lungs for eight long months, in harmony, only ever in harmony. And then learning on the guitar (or was that your "if you break-up with me I'll kill myself" boyfriend, kids never change) and then having a party and playing it and singing it with TWO people singing the harmony. I would bash my head against the wall just to break up the monotony and kill the memories. And for the next ten years every time I'd hear it I throw my fists in the sky attempting to threaten the entire universe in the biggest 'so sick of that song' gesture any human can possibly express.

Oddly, I've softened up in my old age. Now, just a few years later, I listen to the song think fondly of my mind melting frustration, smile and reflect upon my wild fits of rage. So now that I haven't seen you in exactly one million years hope when I do see you over Christmas you're singing that song, just so I can feel like youthful aggravation, for old times sake.

This one's for you E.V.


Today's Song of the Day is "Closer To Fine" by The Indigo Girls off there 1989 album "Indigo Girls."

Crazy Fact: In addition to her work as part of the Indigo Girls, Amy Ray also set up and presides over Daemon Records, a nonprofit label to nurture new talent with an emphasis on like-minded singer/songwriters.

njoy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ay...I be warmin' up me pipes as I post this comment!

"I throw my fists in the sky attempting to threaten the entire universe in the biggest 'so sick of that song' gesture any human can possibly express"...whoa dude...sorry, I had no idea! HA!