Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Wikiness

According to Nielsen NetRatings Wikipedia is now the third-most-popular news and information source on the net.

This I like.

I like the idea of free. Free means it's value it inherent, not assigned. People won't push it on you because they want your dime. It's publication isn't motivated by cash. Can you trust free info? Maybe not, but I KNOW I can't trust CNN. I like that you have to read wikipedia and still think critically about what your reading. Your not a gulliable fool, nor are you expected to be. But I kinda trust volenteers. They do it because they want to. They write about topics they are interested in. They choose.

It thick with things I value. Primarily freedom. Free will not contrived or controlled by anyone. I think these people are well meaning, that they are pursiuing fact. you may think I'm nieve but it's more likely that these people paid and edited by "other interests" have muddied intentions.

To me the intention is the thing. Wiki Volunteers are looking for the facts. Most other sources are looking for a sale, and "the facts" is just a method to get there and ultimately the facts would be sacrificed, if need be, to assure a sale.

To me, why sell something you can give away for free? With idea's like that I'll, I guess I'll never be a capitalist.


Today's Song of the Day is "Dead Man Blues" by The Red Hot Peppers off the compliation "Jelly Roll Morton Centennial: His Complete Victor Recording" originally released in 1924.

Crazy Fact: Jelly Roll Morton was the first man to write down Jazz. As well as being an incredible musician he was a pimp, a pool shark and had a diamond installed in his front tooth.

njoy

No comments: