Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Hockey Hockey Hockey

I likes the hockey.

I fought liking the hockey for many moons as a wee lad when I moved here from Toronto. In the 70s, in Toronto everybody hated the Canadians and everybody loved the Leafs, easy. When I moved to rural Nova Scotia, everybody hated the Leafs and loved the Canadians. At Seven it was just too much to bare. So I gave up on the whole bunch, gave in to my hatred and joined the dark-side as a full-time hockey hater (known secretly as "Darth Pif".)

Accellerating my journey to the dark-side was my failed career as a Goalie. Being little, oh so very little, the net was the safest place for me to be. I was quick and pretty good for a six year-old.

Way back in the 70s we were playing ball hockey and I was the Goalie. Since there were no masks or goalie gear to speak of (and we were six) there was a no high-shots rule and a no slap-shots rule. Everything was fine, I was stoppin' them dead. Some bigger kids wanted to play and pushed there way into our game.

I was scared of them but still I was a wall, nothin' no goals. Now I don't know if it was a mistake, out of frustration, didn't know the rules or to be mean, but one of those big kids pulled back for a wicked slap shot from about the red line near the boards. He put his all into it. It sped towards me like a bullit, I'd never seen a hockey ball move that fast in my life. I was totally in the zone and stood my ground.

"SMACKwizzzzzzzzWACK!" I stopped it... unfortunately, with my eye.

Up to that point in my life nothing had ever been that painful. I thought he blinded me with that Hard oranage Hockey ball. I dropped my stick and gloves and cried all the way home. I totally lost the nerve to stand in front of the net.

As I remember he was sincerly appologetic and tried to come over to help. I think I through my glove at him, enraged and hatefully screamed "Big Jerk" at him before stormed off and I cried my swollen little eye home.


Today's Song of the Day is "Eye Of The Tiger" by Survivor off their 1982 Album "Eye Of The Tiger."

Crazy Fact: Sly Stallone heard them in Toronto and commissioned this song off them.

njoy

No comments: