Thursday, September 18, 2008

Comic Book Pirates

I'm all kinds of geek and I don't mean the post 'geek chic' new geek categories like 'sports geek', that's bullshit. Sports geeks were called jocks and they both beat me up and got girl friends. no. not them. I'm the computer club, chess club, stamp collection, D&D and comic books sorta individual. Yes, I had and still have a stamp collection.

But sadly my comic book skillz have been in sharp decline over the years. Until one day about two weeks ago I was possessed with the idea of reading my old Sgt. Rock comics which are lost in my family somewhere. I turned to the internet. 

Hello bit-torrent. 

I've never really been a huge user... that... has... changed. I am digitally rebuilding my entire 70s-80s comic collection like a man possessed, Ghost Rider, Sgt. Rock, Weird War, ROM, Groo, Micronaughts... It's awesome. Try it!

Along the way I've discovered a few things about myself. First of all, that little girl-friendless pif geek had some pretty good taste in comics. Second, I'm not a fan of Superhero comics. I always thought I was, but nope I love horror comics. Little Creepy stories. Like the Teddy Bear Killer above. Third, I love the Philippino artists style, specifically Nestor Redondo  Weird. Fourth, totally prefer Black & White. I think colour, for the most part, takes more away then it adds. 

I don't feel bad stealing them cuz they're all out of print. But on the whole I have very little guilt when it comes to piracy, like all good people of this earth.


Today's Song of the Day is "Shoplifters Of The World Unite" by The Smiths off their 1987 compilation "Louder than Bombs."

Crazy Fact: Drummer Mike Joyce and bassist Andy Rourke sued Morrissey and Johnny Marr in 1991, claiming they received only ten percent of the group's earnings while the songwriters received 40 percent. Rourke eventually settled out of court, but Joyce won his case in late 1996.

 njoy

2 comments:

RJ Daily said...

PIF!!!!!! I love you are doing this again and I NEVER KNEW YOU HAD TIHS BLOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously you coming back like this, has totally made my cyber week!

I'll be reading and listening and loving!!! Pass some of that love along to the wife for me!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I cant believe anybody else knows about this comic. I had a huge collection of horror comics at my grandparents house but they were thrown out. I am still bummed 40 years later!

I acutually googled teddy bear killer. It made quite an impression on me apparently. Can you post any other stories?