Saturday, November 19, 2005

pod people

I made my girlfriend into a pod person. Now it ain't no superball, but it's got her pretty damn happy. She's stopped taking cabs because of it. She can't wait to plug-in the ear-buds and walk around. I think she really wouldn't care if it was around in circles. I made one more smiling cog in the machine. And she looks at me protective and suspcious when she thinks I'm going to intrude on her quality time with her iPod. She's gone over to the other side. Someday she's going to look at me oddly, open her mouth wide and that awful high-pitched squealing is going to come out. Then you'll see me, ear-buds 'n' all, plugged in to the machine smiling. (sigh) I can't wait.


Today's Song of the Day is "Chevrolet" by Jim Kweskin & the Jug Band off there 1967 album "See Reverse Side for Title."

Crazy Fact: Shortly after the Kweskin Jug Band performed on the nationally aired Steve Allen Show, on March 4, 1964, Lymon left the band to start a cult (and has since dissappeared) and was replaced by banjo wiz Bill Keith, who had just left a gig with Bill Monroe's Bluegrass Boys.

njoy

2 comments:

Mad'Nis said...

Why don't you call her your fiancée? It is such a short-lived title, why not enjoy it? ;-)

I hate the word, myself. It's like an unfinished sentence.

iPods are wonderful. Mine's 4 years old and still rockin'.

annabanana said...

when i first got my shuffle i was excited -- especially about wearing it while watering the vegetable garden which, on hot days, could take up over an hour of my time (just standing there. watering).

but then i started to feel weird putting it on. on the one hand, i like music, and especially the music i've downloaded myself, and pleasantly anticipated hearing my favourite tunes. on the other hand, i worried about missing something. watering the garden is really boring, but sometimes a bird says something, other times a dog, and what if i missed a ladybug crawling on my strawberry plant because i was lost in some Prince induced reveree? i started to feel gross about listing to it. like i was turning my back on the infinite charm of the minutia of existence and missing out on reality. i've stopped using it. i've fallen in love with quiet and the small sounds of life.

although if i were on a, i don't know, 17 hour flight to india, or something, i might bring it along.