Friday, September 16, 2005

Copyright is Unethical (Part 5)

I think copyright should be abandoned. Yes, totally abandoned. This is another reason why:

As it stands the world in general has set a arbitrary limit of 70 years after the death of the author on all copyrights. So 70 years after the death of the author all their works go into the Public Domian.

This copyright was extended in 1978 to 70 from 28 years (with a possible renewal of 20 years) What is preventing law makers from extending that copyright again? I can see a lobby group with client list as rich as they come (Sony, Universal, Disney, AOL-Time-Warner, Microsoft, Apple, publishers...) attempting to extend copyright as long as possible. It's in the interest of the copyright holders, they're simply protecting their investments.

So what? So they own it forever, Big deal. Who cares if 'Mickey Mouse' is never Public Domian? or 'Terminator 2'? or 'The Divinci Code'?

Not many people.

Maybe if people looked at a copyright as a Monopoly with a expiry date. Remove the expiry date and you just have a monopoly. What if that person owned a lot of copyrights. What if a company collected a fifth of the rights to all music published since 1923. How come they get to control what I hear, when I hear it and how much it costs? What if they don't want to publish what I want to hear?

Where's my freedom? Where's my choice? Who are these people choosing from what I can choose from? What happened to Porky Pig?


Today's Song of the Day is "Swan Lake, Act II: iv. Allegro moderato" composed by Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky in 1876 and performed by Richard Bonynge and The National Philharmonic Orchestra.

Crazy Fact: In July 1877, Tchaikovsky, despite his homosexuality, foolishly married Antonina Ivanovna Milyukova, an obsessed admirer, their disastrous union lasting just months. The composer attempted suicide in the midst of this episode.

njoy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have Guitarwolf-are-aliens-not-so-secretly-trying-to take-over-the-world/blog. It pretty much covers how to make a tasty soup out of the bones of people who advertise on other people's blogs and send you the latest in the way of internet spam. Oh, and by the way I also have another blog about a super-secret investment thing I have going with the nephew of an official in Sierra Leone (who between you and myself -wink-wink - became a warlord).

No really. We can make a lotta bucks.
Just you and me Monkey-boy.
Really.

Come and check it out if you get time ;-(
Email me Pif. You know who it is.

Mad'Nis said...

mmmm, tasty soup!

Delete the ad, man, and use that word-verification thing, what a pain in the butt.

I agree with your dislike of copyright, I'd like to know the history of it... must have begun with the invention of Radio, hmm? I just hate the criminalization of natural acts. Sharing music has to be one of the most normal things humans can do.

My question has been, how do we change our culture so that people feel as good wiring money to the artists as they do sharing their tunes?

It's a shame it all gets so commodified as well. Well, I can't think of a better way right yet, so I guess it's copyright. Suck it up.