Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Late Canada Day

I meant to post this for C-Day. whatev'

The self-appointed guru of canadian music known as 'ghomi' 'the ghosmeshster' and more formally as Jian Ghomeshi has made the top 50 Canadian songs of all time list.

The 50 Tracks

Ian and Sylvia, "Four Strong Winds"
Barenaked Ladies, "If I Had $1,000,000"
Neil Young, "Heart of Gold"
Stan Rogers, "Northwest Passage"
The Guess Who, "American Woman"
Gordon Lightfoot, "Canadian Railroad Trilogy"
Joni Mitchell, "Both Sides Now"
Leonard Cohen, "Suzanne"
Joni Mitchell, "Big Yellow Taxi"
Gordon Lightfoot, "Early Morning Rain"
Bruce Cockburn, "Lovers in a Dangerous Time"
Stompin' Tom Connors, "The Hockey Song"
Tom Cochrane, "Life Is a Highway"
Blue Rodeo, "Try"
The Band, "The Weight"
The Tragically Hip, "New Orleans is Sinking"
Bryan Adams, "Summer of '69"
Bachman-Turner Overdrive, "Takin' Care of Business"
Anne Murray, "Snowbird"
Sarah McLachlan, "Angel"
k.d. lang, "Constant Craving"
Spirit of the West, "Home For a Rest"
The Guess Who, "These Eyes"
Neil Young, "Rockin' in the Free World"
Gordon Lightfoot, "Sundown"
Buffy Sainte-Marie, "Universal Soldier"
The Tragically Hip, "Courage (for Hugh MacLennan)"
Alanis Morissette, "You Oughta Know"
Bruce Cockburn, "Wondering Where the Lions Are"
Gilles Vigneault, "Mon Pays"
Trooper, "Raise a Little Hell"
Blue Rodeo, "Hasn't Hit Me Yet"
Rush, "Tom Sawyer"
Hank Snow, "I'm Movin' On"
Martha and the Muffins, "Echo Beach"
Men Without Hats, "The Safety Dance"
k-os, "Crabbuckit"
Rough Trade, "High School Confidential"
Sam Roberts, "Brother Down"
Paul Anka, "Diana"
Ron Hynes, "Sonny's Dream"
Leonard Cohen, "Tower of Song"
The Crew Cuts, "Sh'Boom"
Parachute Club, "Rise Up"
Sloan, "Coax Me"
Maestro Fresh Wes, "Let Your Backbone Slide"
Tommy Dorsey, "I'll Never Smile Again"
Rush, "Fly By Night"
D.O.A., "Disco Sucks"
Wilf Carter, "My Swiss Moonlight Lullaby"

hmmm...


Today's Song of the Day is "Home For A Rest" by Spirit of the West off their 1990 album "Save This House."

Crazy Fact: I haven't heard this forever... and it's on this stupid list.

njoy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Worst. List. Ever.

Especially number 2.

I want to renounce my citizenship.

JR

Anonymous said...

I agree with JR.
Especially on #2.
Summer of '69? Are you #@!ing kidding me?
I wonder if that guy even knows what that song is about. Now, I can understand why he wouldn't put choices like SNFU, Voivod, Viletones or SLAUGHTER (not the '80s hair band, but the thrash band from Toronto), but taking a pass on Oscar Peterson, Gil Evans, Glen Gould, Cowboy Junkies and Diana Krall? Why don't you just go ahead and load on The Images In Vogue, Glass Tiger and Cor Hart to really roll out those shitty Can-con radio memories of my youth.

No love for the Boy in th Box?
Not from me.

So #1 Super-uncool.

Mad'Nis said...

well I can tell you what they play for Canadian music in Berlin, and it's terrifying.

Yes, BNL, I hear them all the time. Weird songs too, like... "It's all been done" and "I'd be that girl"

Brian Adams, well he's barely canadian anymore.

Alanis Morrisette...

Nobody knows who Sarah McLaughlan is.

I have a buddy who's a crazy Stan Rogers fan, I'm not kidding. Never ever on the radio tho.

Neil Young of course... maybe a little Joni Mitchell or KD lang, but I think I've only heard remixes or cover versions.

But BNL, that's always a surprise. You can bet we never hear any bloody Moxy Früvous, nya nya 'Meshi.

Actually, I think I heard some Sloan on the radio a few weeks or months ago, I seem to recall nearly having a heart attack.

We're all having a Tragically Hip revival right now, I'm totally irritating the QoC with

"$2.50 for an eyeball, and a buck-and-a-half for an ear. Happy hour, happy hour, happy hour is heeeere."

hahahahaha.

I hate the song "Home for a rest". Spirit of the West can lick my balls. No, No cancel that, they can lick.. Pif's balls. After he's been jogging.

Mad'Nis said...

Who the fuck are Ian and sylvia?